It’s time for the Whole30 week 2 recap! In my week 1 recap (read here), I didn’t talk too much about cravings, but goodness, this week was all about the cravings! I have wanted everything from pizza to cookie dough to vanilla lattes. I almost bought $15 vanilla beans from Harris Teeter this week just to make a frothy drink, but then quickly gave myself a reality check of, “You’re about to spend $15 for maybe a frothy drink, um no.” Although this week has been rough at times, it has forced some serious self-control, which is also something to be proud of. So, let me talk you through this past week and give a week 2 Whole30 recap at our house.
According to the Whole30 Timeline, week 2 is jammed with a lot of different feelings and emotions. And let me tell you, this timeline was so right on for me. I felt so bloated the first couple of days, I just wanted to wear yoga pants. The food cravings hit me hard! My husband and I were reminiscing on all of our favorite restaurants when we lived near Chicago, and we both just wanted to drive back and experience them all, in that moment!! I didn’t have too much extra energy this week, but I’m fairly certain it was because my kids didn’t want to sleep at night. Under normal circumstances, perhaps I would have felt more energetic.
How My Grocery Shopping and Meal Plan Went for Whole30 Week 2
This was a really busy week at our house. My husband worked some crazy hours, and we weren’t home too much in general. As a result, I felt a bit scattered with our meals. I only made 2 extra trips to the grocery store, but by Sunday, we literally had no food left in our house and my husband was struggling big time (and I was too). He was a bit grouchy and I even said, “You can quit if you don’t want to do it anymore.” I was secretly hoping he wouldn’t quit on me! Thankfully he’s a trooper and he said, “Heck no, I don’t quit things.” I was so relieved!! This weak moment, reinforced to me that I MUST make sure we ALWAYS have food on hand. Whether it’s a quick snack option or a leftover meal, it’s important to stay stocked!
How I Felt Physically During Whole30 Week 2
- Day 1: I craved pizza, coffee creamer, and a donut, big time.
- Day 2: I felt very bloated, like pregnant bloated and I am definitely not pregnant.
- Day 3: I woke up feeling bloated and had a headache. The headache subsided by afternoon.
- Day 4: This was a pretty normal day.
- Day 5: I was tired and just felt a bit grouchy.
- Day 6: I just wanted pizza, lots and lots of pizza.
- Day 7: I had normal energy, but the thought to quit was there today. We had no food left at the house and I just wanted to throw a pizza in the oven and call it a day. (I know, lots of pizza thoughts this week)
Staple Items That I Used This Week:
- Bananas: I bought SO many bananas this week, we ate them like crazy. When we were craving something sweet, we would make this baked almond butter and banana recipe from Fed + Fit. It was so good, I would highly recommend it.
- Pico De Gallo: This is such a great add on to so many things. You can throw it on some eggs, a quick burger, or bowl. I love Sunbelt Fresh Organic Salsa, from Costco.
- Sweet Potatoes: I never liked sweet potatoes until Whole30. When we did the program in May, I cooked them a couple of times and didn’t mind them. This time through, I crave them. They are so versatile. You can put them in a skillet for a breakfast bowl or add them to so many dinner recipes. I really like to cook them in the instant pot, then put some ghee and cinnamon on top. So yum!
- Kale: I love kale and we ate a lot of it this week. I used it in a lot of breakfast dishes, I roasted kale and golden potatoes and the kale tasted like kale chips and I used it in several salads.
- Cashews: I tried to hold off on buying cashews, because we can max out on them in a day, and they are a little pricey. But it happened, we gave in to cashews because they are just so good, and fulfilled that frothy drink craving I had.
Looking Ahead to Week 3
I feel a bit more organized for week 3. We went to Costco and Trader Joe’s and stocked up! I am going to try to stick to the recipes that I sent in the week by week meal plan to email subscribers. (If you’d like this meal plan, subscribe to fitandhealthymomlife.com and I’ll send it to you). In addition, we have plenty of emergency snacks on hand because I am sure we will need them! My favorite go to snacks are still these beef jerky sticks and these bars. (I failed at having these on hand in week 2).
Here’s my moment of pure honesty. There were a few times this week, in the midst of exhaustion and a plain busy week, that I wasn’t sure if I could make it the full 30 days. I just wanted to go through a drive thru and not cook (thank you Five Guys for coming to the rescue) but it was a hard week. However, I told all of you I was doing this, I committed to it, and there are so many of us doing it together, that you bet I am making it through!! I have loved hearing from so many of you, sharing recipes, stories, and weak moments. If you’re struggling, know that you are not alone! Keep fighting those urges, cravings, and temptations. I promise you, at the end of 30 days, you will be proud you made it, and you will learn so much about your body! And PLEASE reach out to me if you need encouragement! We need to cheer each other on!
According to the Whole30 Timelines, During Week #3…
- I will have boundless energy
- Tiger Blood sets in – things are normaling out, I feel confident I can do this!
If you are craving a creamy coffee drink like I often was this past week, try this cashew coffee creamer recipe from The Castaway Kitchen! It has been a major hit throughout the Whole30 community and will make that coffee so rich and creamy! If you want to add a little froth to the top, just use a whip foamer like this one and you’ve got yourself a homemade cafe drink.